Monday, April 25, 2011

Happiness

My opa sent me this excerpt from one of Billy Graham's devotionals and I found it very relevant to my life. . .
I almost wish that Thomas Jefferson had not written about "the pursuit of happiness." Jefferson was correct that we should have a "right" to pursue happiness, but the problem today is that so many people are pursuing happiness without knowing exactly what they are looking for or where to find it. Happiness is a byproduct, not an end in itself. Happiness cannont be pursued anymore than one can pursue a cloudless day, grasp it, put it in a bottle, and then bring it out on a rainy day to enjoy again. True happiness is not superficial and fleeting, as a day at an amusement park might be. True happiness begins when one is in right relationship with God. In fact, God is the only source of true happiness, because He offers those intangibles that we mistakenly believe can be found on earth: contentment, security, peace and hope for the future. None of these can be found in a job, a human relationship, money, power or position. They are God's alone to give. That is why the Lord Jesus, in His Sermon on the Mount, told where ultimate happiness lies when He said, "Happy are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."

Now even though this doesn't directly relate to my summer project in Australia, it definitely relates to my spiritual walk with the Lord. It has put me into perspective of where I define my happiness. It brings up questions as to what I put at the center of my life. I do know that I am trying to pursue my Lord Jesus' attributes as best as I can. I am encouraged by this excerpt to further strive after that goal. I know that I am definitely not perfect, but I also know that He is perfecting me. He puts me through struggles for a reason and provides solutions for a reason. He challenges my faith but then picks me up if I fall. My God is a great God indeed and I know that only pure happiness can be found through Him. That is why I am happy today! Because I have full faith in my Lord that He will get me to Australia! One way or another I am going to get over to that continent and spread His name to the nations!

No comments:

Post a Comment