Tuesday, July 17, 2012

First blog of the trip!

Hi loved ones!

This is the first post that I have done since briefing and sing arriving in Australia. To first catch you all up on briefing, it can be best characterized by “unforeseen stress.” I knew going into this leadership role that it would be difficult and stretching, but briefing definitely put it into a realistic perspective. However, this unforeseen stress was a direct result of me relying upon myself to accomplish all my tasks. During our leadership training, they described some characteristics. They asked if anyone was feeling stressed, anxious, worn out, etc. All of these would have directly reflected my heart. As the talk went on, the speaker than began to tell that these are all results of a person relying upon their self rather than the Lord. I was immediately woken up to the reality that I was not giving my work unto the Lord and that was why I was feeling instantly drained.

After that message and time of reflection, there were still many things to do, but the Lord had given me a new spirit, one filled with His Holy Spirit. This has been a concept that I have been learning about while being here and I’m so excited for the Lord to reveal to me more about the Holy Spirit. Already since that meeting, the Holy Spirit is giving me peace, joy, and assurance. I am still feeling drained and tired, but the Spirit is getting me through each decision and each day. The Lord is providing in mighty ways and it took me to stop relying upon myself to really see how the Lord can practically guide my work.

He blessed me with a smooth airport experience, safe travels, and has given me wonderful Cru staff and STINTers (1yr missionaries) that have helped immensely since we’ve arrived. God is filling me with His Spirit, because we both know that when I depend upon myself for this work, I instantly feel overwhelmed, which is not what God wants me to feel.

I am writing to you during my “Date Night with Jesus” which is an extended time on Tuesday nights that we get to spend solely with the Lord. I am loving this time because these are one of the few times I have to think about financials, planning, etc. Many of the free times that the students get are instead filled with planning and figuring out our money. God has quickly revealed to me the differences in this time of ministry as compared to my time last summer. I have grown in my walk from last summer, and the Lord is teaching me new things this time around.

Right now, he is teaching my what a servant’s heart looks like. How I as a leader always have to look after the concerns of my team before my own. Also, God is showing me that I am also a servant to Nate and Jenn who are the two leaders above me. God is filling me with His Spirit which then makes me be reliant upon Him in times of decisions, conflict, my selfish nature, etc. I am learning how to find comfort in the Lord and how to find strength in His power. The more I follow God’s will for my leadership position, the more He can show his wisdom and power to me. So yeah! The Lord is doing great things in my heart and walk with Him already, and it’s only the third day! Bless the Lord, oh my soul!

The practical breakdown of my last couple days have been this:

- Sunday July 15th: Flying in around 8:30am, finally getting out of the airport around 10am, having a surprise friend of mine Ashlee visit me right when I got out of the terminal, traveling to the Space Hotel, going on a scavenger hunt in Melbourne, having dinner with my team, grocery shopping for the week, and making myself stay up until 9:30pm in order to break jet lag (:

- Monday July 16th: Sleeping in (becausemy body needed it), having a cultural/evangelism training by the STINTers and an Aussie that is on Student Life (Cru) staff, going to Costco with the cook team, making dinner, having a great bible study with the women, and going to sleep early!

- Tuesday July 17th: Waking up and having a great quiet time, enjoying a wonderful devo from one of our students, traveling to RMIT Bundoora to get a tour from one of the Aussies involved with Student Life (Cru) at the Uni, doing a prayer walk around the campus, seeing kangaroos (woo!), helping the cook team prepare dinner, having date with my man Jesus, and writing this blog to update all of you wonderful folk (: When I return to the hostel we get to have our first worship/prayer session. Boy I amexcited! Nothing better than worship and prayer!

Prayer Requests:

- Pray that our team continues to bond under the common love of Christ and that no one feels excluded or left out. Pray that our team individually focuses their time this summer on their personal relationship with the Lord and falls more and more deeply in love with God. Pray that our team will continue to be vulnerable with another, edifying, encouraging, helpful, and loving. Pray that we all get our joy from Christ and continue each day with the mindset that we are His workers!

- Pray for my strength and energy level. Pray that I lean upon the Lord throughout the day and not on my own energy. I can already see how this trip is going to be tiresome, but pray that I find rest in the Lord.

- Pray for the students that are already involved with Student Life on the campuses we are going to (RMIT Bundoora and LaTrobe Bundoora). The total number of students involved at these campuses combined is less than 15. This stat breaks my heart, but it wasn’t until I heard it from our guide’s mouth today during our campus tour. Knowing that our tour guide, Bec, joined Student Life when it was 4 people shows how much encouragement these students need. The movements at these campuses are so small, and it reminds me that we are not only here in Australia to seek the lost, but to also encourage, affirm, and help the already committed.

- This week we really want to focus on team bonding and creating friendships with the students involved with Student Life already. Pray that our event with them is successful and that our team would make great relationships with the students in the movement.

Thank you all for reading my blog & taking the time to read and pray about the things I mention. I cannot thank you enough for your support in my mission’s trip. I love you all!

Here's a picture of my wonderful team!

1 comment: